04 February 2007

The Naming Game

Those who are close to me would know that I have 2 nicknames. One is "Jeab", my original Thai nickname given since birth, the other is "Prit", which is shortened from my first name.

I started refering to myself as "Prit" when I was in high school in Hong Kong. I fear that most people there would not be able to pronouce my nickname, therefore, it would be easier to just use create a new nickname. I don't want people to mis-pronouce my nickname like my grandma used to. (She mis-pronouced my name as "เจิบ" (Jerb) -_- which makes me soundes like a peasant boy from those Thai period movies with one tuft of hair smack in the middle of his head. -_-) And if my grandma can make the mistake, then there's a BIG chance that other people who are not familiar with the Thai language can make the same mistake too. I mean my nickname is one of the most common nicknames since the beginning of Thai history. You would have thought that it's hard to mis-pronouce such common name!

Anyway, so I was thinking, which name should I use when I start my master in Aussieland??

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...JERB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the end i introduced myself as 'jeab' =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!"เจิบ" (Jerb) -_- which makes me soundes like a peasant boy from those Thai period movies with one tuft of hair smack in the middle of his head. -_-)

    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete