31 October 2006

Sending My Love with Tiramisu

I just found something interesting... lookit~

Tiramisu is an Italian dessert typically made from Lady fingers, espresso coffee, mascarpone cheese, eggs, cream, sugar, marsalawine, cocoa and rum. The name tiramisù means "pick-me-up" (metaphorically --> Cheer me up), referring to the two caffeine-containing ingredients, espresso and cocoa.

There is some debate regarding the history of tiramisu. Some believe it was first created during the First World War. Women in northern Italy made these desserts for their men to take with them as they were being sent off to war, presumably to remind them of their love together, as the bitter-sweet taste of the dessert alludes to the perplexing feeling of love itself. (didnt know that... the bitter-sweet feeling of love... i like~) Or more practically, they might have believed the high caffeine and energy content of these desserts give their men more energy to fight (luckily they didn't use their energy on something else...HAHA.. you know... lotsa guys living together 24/7...HAHAHA) and help bring them home safely.

Another story regarding tiramisu dates back even further. It is said that during the Renaissance periods, Venetian women made these to be shared with their men during the late hours because they believed it would give them the energy to make more vigorous love later. (wow~ tiramisu as aphodisiac... opens up a whole other world huh?) A different take on this story is that Venetian prostitutes, living above cafés, would order this as a late night pick-me-up. (erm.... ... ok.)

Well... i thought the information above was interesting. I guess there's more to it than a delicious piece of cake.

So... people in Thailand, if you wanna get your hands on some tiramisu *wink*wink*, try Mango Tango at Siam Square. I don't know if it's good but their other cakes are good so i'm assuming that the tiramisu would be too. Another place you can try is Basilico, an italian restaurant on Sukhumvit road. Enjoy~

(thanks to wikipedia.org for enlightening me and making me realise that tiramisu is NOT a japanese dessert...)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:24 AM

    Hmmmmm, looks appetizing, i should have a piece of that in dubai on my day off..My new meal for another month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeez.. u have to thank ME for making u realize tiramisu isn't a japanese desert.. psh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I had all these things I wanted to say and then I saw Ammar's post and I was like *speechless* cuz well Kenny would roll over and bark twice before he'd actually get online to read my post, and he'd have to roll over and give me his hand and eat dog biscuits before he'd actually post a reply!!!!! *shock*

    Okay I know my example isn't very good but that's the first thing that came out of my head. don't hold it against me.

    'Tiramisu' is french isn't it? I heard about the bittersweet part but the older story I haven't heard before - thanks for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete