21 August 2006

Conversations with Japanese

Now that you've already heard of my colleagues (GO READ 'IF I WERE FOOD, THESE ARE MY SEASONINGS'), I'll tell you more about the hardship in my working life. Working in an international firm, of course, you will always have miscommunications. Even if you're speaking the same language, there will always be mistakes now and then. I work in a Japanese firm, having to speak english to my Japanese boss. Ok, I'm not criticizing Japanese about their english but it's so damn hard to understand. I'm not the best in english either, so it adds to the higher risks of misunderstandings. I've become adept at interpreting Japanese accent but sometimes along the way there are mistakes. Here's a few. (I have to use my colleagues as examples cuz these are a few of the more funny ones)

ps. wrong spellings in the conversations are on purpose

1.)
Jap: Amy-san, can I have a blug?
Amy: <looks a bit confused, but says> Yes, wait. I will get you a new one.
<Amy runs off, while the rest of us stare after her with question marks in our eyes.>
Amy: Here <hands over an extension cord>
Jap: No, I mean a blug
Amy: <stares back in confusion> You want a bigger one?
Jap: No, a blug. To put things in.
(the Jap meant A BAG!! what Amy heard was A PLUG)

2.)
<here's the scene: we're in a really big meeting with clients discussing about an upcoming research>
Client: We would like to alalyze product benefits as well ne. So we should includes de arandee people in the questionnaire.
Another Client: Yes, we can ask conshumas if they like the product and arandee can improve it
Client: So we need help from arandee na.
Nun: Who's arandee?
Me: It's R&D!
The Boss: Nun-san, please write down that we will get questionnaires from arandee.

3.)
The Boss: Toy-san, are you visy?
P'Toy: <stares at the boss>
The Boss: Are you visy? VISY?
P'Toy: Am I visit? Visit where?
The Boss: No, VISY! <points at the computer>
P'Toy: OH, no, I'm not busy.

4.)
The Boss: Please try to write the concepts. But please do not use matafa, and please do not esagare.
Amy, Nun & Me: <looks at each other in confusion>
The Boss: You know matafa? Please do not use.
(it turns out matafa = metaphor, and esagare = exaggerate~)

So you see.... it's not easy working in a Japanese firm.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA....so funny...my boss is like that too, except he's speaking in THAI!!! (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing..)

    Anyway, once, he was explaining something to me and he was like,

    "Bahjon mai mai." and I'm like, "What??" I knew what "mai mai" was ("new" in Thai) but I had no idea what "Bahjon" was, and I kept asking him to repeat himself until this other Thai dude said, "He means 'version'" and I was like, "Oh...didn't sound like it!" Hahaha

    ReplyDelete